My name is Emily
I’M THE FOUNDER OF RECONNECTED LIFE AND THE EDITOR OF THIS BOOK
This book had to happen….
THE ONLY WAY TO CATCH A RAPIST, IS IF WE REPORT THE CRIME
And yet, it’s estimated that only 17% of us will report. For fear of not being believed. For fear of losing our family, friends, jobs. For fear of losing our minds.
And these fears are based in reality.
Because when we do, we are disbelieved, we are made to feel that we are making it up, we are retraumatised by the process.
And we rarely get justice. Whatever that is, when it comes to rape.
This book sheds light on the real-life experiences of survivors, in their decision to report, or not to report.
THE RESPONSE WHEN WE DISCLOSE, IS SO OFTEN THAT WE MUST REPORT…
Because, if we are speaking the truth, we would of course want justice.
As if the woman wronged, must get her revenge, or be complicit in it’s act.
There is a feeling that we must speak out, or we will be to blame for those that follow.
When our bodily autonomy has been taken away and violated through rape, our choices are too often dictated to us by others too.
AND IF WE ARE NOT TOLD TO REPORT, WE ARE TOLD NOT TO MAKE A FUSS, IT WAS ALL IN OUR HEAD AND NOT REALLY ‘THAT’ BAD.
Don’t ruin the friendship circle. Don’t ask that he not be invited anymore to parties.
Don’t make waves, your reputation will not recover.
You’ll be known as weak, as stupid, as broken.
Damned if we do, damned if we don’t.
THIS BOOK ISN’T A TREATISE AGAINST REPORTING
OR A PLEA THAT WE SHOULD
The purpose of this book is to help inform those who don’t know what the reality is of the decisions that we have to make, often at our most vulnerable time, when we have been traumatised and feel like death is a sensible answer.
The purpose of this book is to show solidarity with those who do know, that they are not alone, and to help them feel less isolated. This book is to help those who are grappling with their own decision, by preparing them for what might come, and letting them know in that, that despite the difficulties, you do not need to regret the decision you do make.
The purpose of this book is help those who work within and around the Criminal Justice System have more empathy, compassion, and understanding for what survivors are going through, as individuals, not statistics.
The purpose of this book is to shift hearts and minds.
The purpose of this book is through stories, to change the world.
WHAT’S IN THE BOOK?
Six chapters, stories from those who decided not to report, and their reasons why.
Fourteen chapters, stories from those who decided to report, and their lived experience.
Of which, four that went as far as court. With two convictions.
Seven chapters, points of view from those supporting survivors within the Justice System. One juror, and:
- Jessica Eaton
- Rhiannon Evans – Supporting Justice
- Dr. Sarah Heke
- Annie Rose & Lynne Tooze – Respond UK
- Lucy Allwright & Jennifer Holly – AVA
- Dr. Nina Burrowes
On sale NOW! Royalties to the charities chosen by the survivor-authors.
Amazon UK, Kindle edition
Amazon UK, Paperback edition
Amazon US, Kindle edition
Amazon US, Paperback edition
And your digital copy from your other suppliers of choice: books2read.com/to-report
The charities who share 85% of the royalties based on the number of nominations received by the survivor-authors (with the other 15% going to Resonance Press in lieu of payment) are: Aisling Centre, My Body Back, On Road Media, Rape Crisis E&W, RASASC, Rosa, Rowan SARC (Antrim), RSVP, The Monitoring Group, Transformation Powerhouse (A Child Is Crying), Trusthouse Lancashire, Women & Girls’ Network. This was a pro bono project conceived by Emily Jacob for ReConnected Life Ltd.
Now On Sale
To Report Or Not To Report: Survivor Testimony of the (In)Justice System WAS published 6TH February 2018 to coincide with Sexual Abuse & Sexual Violence Awareness Week (5th-11th February).
This book is being published pro bono with 85% of royalties going to the charities of the survivor authors' choice, and 15% to the publisher.
Image: Mute Justice © Lizzie Emmett
© 2017 ReConnected Life Ltd | Website by FeelGoodAgency